Overland Park, Kan. (March 22, 2016) – Responding to increasing demand for mission critical data center capacity in Chicago, QTS Realty Trust (NYSE: QTS), an international provider of data centers, managed hosting and cloud services, today announced it is nearing completion of Phase 1 construction of a highly secure 317,000 square foot mega data center in Chicago’s downtown corridor scheduled to open mid 2016. QTS currently operates 24 multi-tenant data centers encompassing more than 4.8 million square feet worldwide.QTS Chicago features the transformation of the iconic Chicago Sun-Times facility into a Tier 3 compliant mega data center on Chicago’s south side. It will serve as QTS’ Midwest hub delivering its full portfolio of highly compliant IT infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) featuring customizable data center solutions, colocation hosting, managed hosting, hybrid cloud, and disaster recovery services for the enterprise and government organizations. Situated on a 30 acre campus, QTS Chicago is highly secure and monitored 24x7x365 by QTS’ Operations Services Center (OSC), and on-site network teams and building management systems.
Phase 1 will include 48,000 square feet of new raised floor and 8 megawatts of critical power. When fully developed, the 317,000 square foot Building 1 will support a total of 133,000 square feet of raised floor encompassing 24 megawatts of power. QTS has the ability to add an additional 213,000 square feet of raised floor and 32 megawatts of power in Building 2 for a total of 346,000 square feet of raised floor and 56 megawatts of power within the campus.
Chicago has long been a business hub and is a center of high performance, next-generation technology service providers. Its vast fiber network infrastructure, and reliable and abundant energy serves the region’s dispersed business community, including the financial services, healthcare, technology and consumer packaged goods industries.
“In an increasingly digital economy, demand for hosting and cloud services will continue to grow,” Illinois Department of Commerce Director Jim Schultz said. “QTS Chicago will help meet the 21st century needs of businesses, and reinforce Illinois’ reputation as an emerging technology hub in the Midwest.”
Located downtown in the middle of the central business district (CBD) and close to 350 E. Cermak Street, QTS Chicago provides abundant connectivity with low latency in a carrier neutral facility. QTS’ data center and IT infrastructure solutions are powered QTS network services that provide high speed access for colocation, managed hosting, and cloud solutions deployed in a hybrid model blending traditional colocation, dedicated (private), and multi-tenant.
“The Chicago market is strong and represents a natural next step in QTS’ expansion strategy,” said Dan Bennewitz, Chief Operations Officer, Sales and Marketing - QTS. “Our downtown mega data center is world-class and purpose built to deliver secure, scalable and highly flexible IT infrastructure solutions for organizations seeking both high performance and business value.”
QTS Chicago’s key features meet a variety of critical business drivers for enterprise, financial and government organizations:
• Integrated data center platform – QTS’ interconnected global platform delivers a hybrid suite of cloud computing and infrastructure services ranging from data center outsourcing, colocation, managed hosting and private cloud, managed storage, server virtualization, backup, replication, and managed security services.
• Focus on premium customer service - QTS leads the IaaS industry with a Net Promoter score of 63.5 for 2015. The higher score reflects QTS’ continued focus on providing premium customer service and exceeding customer expectations during a time of fast growth.
• Connectivity, Capacity, and Proximity – Robust connectivity including direct access to long haul fiber networks for enterprises in the Central Business District and surrounding areas with low latency. A variety of telecommunication, fiber and dark fiber carriers will be in place with others expressing interest in establishing a presence based on QTS’ plans for additional enterprise, government and service provider customers coming online.
• Flexible, tailored solutions – QTS provides a collaborative, high-touch enterprise approach focused on the dynamic needs of today’s agile enterprises who seek a single IaaS partner that can right-size flexible and scalable IT solutions for today and tomorrow.
• Innovations in cooling and power efficiency - Taking advantage of the local climate with modular, dry KyotoWheel™ technology, QTS Chicago was built to achieve an annualized power usage effectiveness (PUE) of 1.17, while championing flexibility and innovative mechanical cooling solutions.
“Chicago has rapidly become a destination of choice for large and midsize enterprises looking to outsource data center and IT infrastructure services," said Rick Kurtzbein, Research Analyst with 451 Research. “With capacity constrained in downtown Chicago, 451 believes the addition of 317,000 square feet of new multitenant data center space will be both well received and disruptive reflecting the city’s need both for new capacity and increasing demand for IT infrastructure outsourcing across industries.”
QTS Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: QTS) is a leading provider of secure, compliant data center solutions, hybrid cloud and fully managed services. QTS’ integrated technology service platform of custom data center (C1), colocation (C2) and cloud and managed services (C3) provides flexible, scalable, secure IT solutions for web and IT applications. QTS' Critical Facilities Management (CFM) provides increased efficiency and greater performance for third-party data center owners and operators. QTS owns, operates or manages 24 data centers and supports more than 1,000 customers in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. For more information, please visit www.qtsdatacenters.com, call toll-free 877.QTS.DATA or follow us on Twitter @DataCenters_QTS.